Effect of HR practices on firm growth
This course is based on the article, The effects of human resource practices on firm growth by Ilias P. Vlachos. The article aims to assess the extent to which specific Human Resource practices contribute to firm performance and growth. It explores the real and perceived impact of the following six HR practices: job security, selective hiring, self-managed teams, compensation policy, extensive training and information sharing. The article includes a review of existing research findings on the positive link between HR practices and organisational performance.
The educational aim of this module is to enable learners to determine the real and perceived impact of six Human Resource practices on the growth of firms measured in terms of sales growth, growth in market share, firm growth and overall improvement.
Upon completion of this module learners should:
1. Have a clear understanding of:
- The Human Resource practices that contribute positively to the growth of firms
- A wide range of research findings on the type of HR practices that contribute towards organisational performance
- Elements of HR practices that should be changed as they do not promote organisational performance
2. Be able to:
- Analyse aspects of six Human Resource practices that contribute positively to organisational performance: job security, selective hiring, self-managed teams, compensation policy, extensive training and information sharing.
- Determine the negative impact of employee turnover on organisational performance and growth
- Analyse the impact of decentralisation of decision making, team work and information sharing on firm growth
- Positive impact of staff training and development, particularly in rapid-growth firms
- Recognise the need for HR managers to measure and report on the contribution of HR practices to firm growth.
Instruction for this Module
- Read the supplied reading material and complete the quiz at the end
- You need to pass the quiz and complete the course rating to generate the module certificate at the end
- You have three attempts to pass the quiz
- The pass grade is 70%
- Please click on the CPD certificate link to claim your certificate and to update your CPD Manager
RSA TEL: 086 1000 381 | Int. Tel: 021 975 2602