Business Strategies for Sustainable Business Models
This course is based on the article, Determining the embeddedness of sustainability claims in strategising: a comparative study of the ALSI 40 companies by M. Pretorius and C. Le Roux. The article describes a study conducted to determine the level of sustainability embeddedness in strategising by investigating the public and external communication of the Top 40 companies listed on the JSE. The article proposes the Strategising for Sustainability Index (SSI) tool for measuring the level of embedded sustainability in the strategising of companies.
The educational aim of this module is to enable learners to analyse the application of the elements of compliance, strategy formulation and strategy implementation to the Top 40 JSE listed companies. The module will enable them to distinguish between the companies that have truly embedded sustainability from those who make appeasing sustainability claims for reputation purposes by simply communicating sustainability or responding to specific criteria so that they are perceived as sustainable.
Upon completion of this module learners should:
Have a clear understanding of:
- The importance of sustainability as a shift in the way business is conducted.
- The relationship between strategising and sustainability.
- The influence of sustainability on consumer attitudes.
- The ten elements of the Strategising for Sustainability Index.
Be able to:
- Analyse the wide range of benefits of sustainable business practices described in research findings.
- Recognise that the JSE’s Socially Responsible Investment Index does not evaluate all the elements of sustainability.
- Evaluate the features of the prescriptive, emergent and organic approaches to strategising and their implications for the strategising process.
- Evaluate the characteristics of the elements of the Strategising for Sustainability Index.
- Evaluate the value of using the Strategising for Sustainability Index to measure the embeddedness of sustainability in the strategising process.
Instruction for this Module
- Read the supplied reading material and complete the quiz at the end
- You need to pass the quiz and complete the course rating to generate the module certificate at the end
- You have three attempts to pass the quiz
- The pass grade is 70%
- Please click on the CPD certificate link to claim your certificate and to update your CPD Manager
RSA TEL: 086 1000 381 | Int. Tel: 021 975 2602