Wireless devices and severe communication disabilities
Access to and use of wireless devices by South Africans with severe communication disabilities.
The aim of this module is to provide an overview of the nature and frequency with which South African adults with severe communication disabilities have access to and use wireless devices, as well as the types of activities for which these wireless devices are used.
A paucity of research exists in terms of the use and access to wireless devices by South African adults with severe communication disabilities. As these wireless devices offer substantial benefits and opportunities to individuals who use AAC, equal opportunity to access and use of wireless devices should be facilitated / enhanced / supported.
In order to enhance the content validity of SUN 4, which was used for data collection, interviews were conducted during its development with subject matter experts in the wireless device industry and regulatory agencies, accessibility and assistive device experts, advocates for people with disabilities, and people with disabilities themselves. For the purpose of this study, items from the SUN 4 questionnaire were slightly modified for the South African context. Reliability of the data was enhanced by using trained research assistants who assisted the participants to complete the questionnaires. .
Upon completion of this module, practitioners should be able to:
- Describe individuals with communication disabilities’ access to and ownership of wireless devices.
- Name some of the types of activities that adults with severe communication disabilities engage in with their wireless devices.
- Explain some of the difficulties and frustrations experienced by adults with severe communication disabilities in the use of wireless devices.
- Discuss the value of wireless devices for adults with severe communication disabilities.
- Discuss the importance of and satisfaction with wireless devices by individuals with severe communication difficulties.
Instruction for this Module
- Read the supplied reading material and complete the quiz at the end
- You need to pass the quiz and complete the course rating to generate the module certificate at the end
- You have three attempts to pass the quiz
- The pass grade is 70%
- Please click on the CPD certificate link to claim your certificate and to update your CPD Manager
RSA TEL: 086 1000 381 | Int. Tel: 021 975 2602