Feeding and Swallowing disorders
This article looks at the effect that feeding and swallowing disorders have on individuals with intellectual disabilities.
The aim of this module is to provide an overview of feeding and swallowing difficulties in individuals with intellectual disability.
This is a clear, well written report with a review of treatment and compensatory strategies. The development of an International Dysphagia Diet Standardization Initiative is promising. .
Upon completion of this module practitioners should have a clear understanding of:
- The definitions of feeding disorder and swallowing disorder.
- The difference between a feeding and swallowing disorder.
- The stages of the swallowing process.
- The developmental sequence and milestones for feeding
- The causes of dysphagia.
- The associated etiologies of dysphagia.
- The tests in the clinical evaluation process.
- The treatment strategies for feeding disorders.
- The treatment strategies for swallowing disorders.
- The development of the Dysphagia Diet Standardisation Initiative.
- The need for more research into feeding and swallowing disorders in the Intellectually Disabled population.
Instruction for this Module
- Read the supplied reading material and complete the quiz at the end
- You need to pass the quiz and complete the course rating to generate the module certificate at the end
- You have three attempts to pass the quiz
- The pass grade is 70%
- Please click on the CPD certificate link to claim your certificate and to update your CPD Manager
RSA TEL: 086 1000 381 | Int. Tel: 021 975 2602